Monday, June 6, 2011

MTV Movie Awards: A Review

Last night I was working during the MTV Movie Awards, and I can't say it was a big loss. I think my MTV days are over. Back in the days of TRL I was all about watching Britney Spears videos and the latest celebrity interviews, but these days I prefer to watch E!. The trouble is that those watching MTV now are a generation younger than myself. The most notable difference: Twilight.

Look, I get it. Vampire stories aren't just for weird, awkward teens who wear chokers and black lipstick anymore. These days they're sexy and look constipated constantly. I get that. And many in today's youngest generation hadn't learned to read when the first Harry Potter books came out and thus didn't get hooked on the magic that is J.K. Rowling, Daniel Radcliffe and the boy wizard who lived. You have every right to find your own obsessions, and I'm not trying to stand in your way. Granted it is unfortunate that you chose to settle on a vampire who is better in almost every other role he plays and an "alternative" actress who always looks unsure of her next line, but hey, who am I to question your motives?

Like I said, I understand why Twilight won such awards as Best Movie and Best Actor for RPat. All the same, I still thought more of today's youth. However, with shows like The Jersey Shore and Bad Girls Club around, I probably should have known better. I don't think I was being unrealistic in thinking that Harry Potter would win more. I understood that the real best movie of the year, Black Swan, wasn't going to win. And that if it did, it was only because a bunch of hormonally challenged teenage boys snuck in to see the "hot lesbian scene," were able to later find that clip online, watched it for hours and later pledged their allegiance to ballet and Darren Aronofsky.

But I really thought that the series that changed a generation, the beginning of the end, the almost ending of a seven-part story would have a little more pull with my peers. I don't consider myself to be "old" yet. I like Justin Bieber as much as the next middle school girl...well maybe not AS much, but you know what I mean... and I've caught the occasional episode of Hannah Montana. Though with the speed that the entertainment industry is going, I guess Hannah Montana is dated now. What happened to the good old days of Lizzie McGuire, S Club 7 and Hey Arnold? In those days we respected our elders and their obsessions. So it's only fitting that today's youngest generation respect mine. Like I said before, I get that whole Twilight thing. I've seen all the movies in theaters, and I'll even see the last one. And while I view them from more of a comedic standpoint than most, I can understand why teenage girls, and sexually confused boys find them to be so intriguing.

But last night's awards left me with just one question: If you were waging a bet, who would win in a fight? Harry Potter or Edward Cullen? Let me answer that for you in two words: Avada Kedavra.

No comments:

Post a Comment