Thursday, June 2, 2011

'The Hangover 2' Review

Let me start off by saying that this was a very funny movie. I laughed during most of it and the characters all still work really well together. That being said, this was basically the first Hangover but in a different location. Director Todd Phillips (The Hangover, Road Trip, Due Date... you know the one) found a formula that worked and copied it. I mean, you can't blame with guy, this sequel brought in more than $100 million in its first weekend. But I just wanted more.

I mean, don't get me wrong. There were definitely some...unusual...new characters, but nothing that was all too different from the original. Even though he wasn't the one they were looking for this time, Justin Bartha, who plays Doug, was in the movie for about five minutes again. They could have definitely included him with the rest of the "wolf pack" and he could have added a new element to the group. But Phillips wasn't taking any chances. He even brought back Ken Jeong as Mr. Chow and Mike Tyson as himself. Though I love Ken Jeong, I thought Mr. Chow was much funnier in the first installment. However, in his defense it is pretty hard to beat some of his great one-liners from the first one, and he doesn't even get to wear heels in this one.

Zach Galifianakis was another one whose performance wasn't up to the first film's par. Don't get me wrong, he was hilarious, but after watching him in scenes such as this one:

I had higher standards than what he presented in this sequel.

Overall, funny movie, but there's nothing new. I really hope they don't go for a third one because they're running out of friends who require bachelor parties. If you're looking for a original and hilarious pre-wedding movie, check out Bridesmaids.

No comments:

Post a Comment