Wednesday, September 14, 2011

'The Book of Mormon' Movie

This year's Broadway hit was The Book of Mormon, winning nine Tony Awards including Best Musical. The musical was created by South Park veterans Trey Parker and Matt Stone and follows two Mormon missionaries to Uganda as they try to witness to the people there. Though I try to visit New York every summer to see musicals, I didn't make it to this one.

Despite its hype and fame, I was nervous to watch something that would probably make fun of the Mormon way of life having several close Mormon friends myself. Though I haven't heard any public outrage over the musical's content, it still gives me a moment's pause to think that they're making it into a movie. To me that takes it a step away from the stage and a step closer to South Park...a step I've never wanted to take. Parker and Stone wrote the musical with Robert Lopez (Avenue Q) and might involve producer Scott Rudin (The Social Network) in the production of this film.

"The great thing is, a lot of Broadway teams would have to go team up with a Hollywood producer and bring on a Hollywood director, but Trey’s a director and Scott’s a great producer. We’ve all made movies. So it’s kind of cool, it can stay in the same family,” Stone said to Entertainment Weekly.

What do you guys think? Inappropriate? Or great comedy? Will you go see the film?

No comments:

Post a Comment