Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Top 5 Favorite Princess Movies

With the Royal Wedding coming up, fantasy is in the air. Every little girl dreams of being a princess (or in my case a professional basketball player), so here are my top 5 favorite princess movies of all time (in order).

1. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
It's a tale as old as time. Belle was the first brunette princess I ever saw (I don't count Snow White, because her voice was annoying and her hair was black...which really makes no sense) and she was also the smartest one. I know there are big fans of Ariel and Jasmine, but Belle was always my favorite. She offered more than the surface level "Royalty is simply TOO challenging" motto of the majority of Disney princesses and was clearly not superficial (I mean, did you SEE her boyfriend?). She provided inspiration to a young, chubby child (hint: that's me) and made roses my favorite flower. Welcome to the top of the list.

2. The Princess Diaries (2001)
Who can't relate to the awkward but charming Mia Thermopolis? One of Anne Hathaway's first of many great roles left my friends and me with some really great inside jokes and tips on how to act like royalty. From laughing at that pretty boy from Brink to falling in love with Michael Moscovitz (who later broke our hearts to tour with Rooney in real life), I can probably quote close to every line in this movie. So, Princess Diaries, thank you for being here today.

3. The Princess Bride (1987)
Though intensely overplayed, few can deny that this is a classic. The characters and dialogue are so vivid and humorous that you can't help falling in love not only with Westley, but also with Inigo Montoya, Fessik, Vizzini, Buttercup and even Prince Humperdinck. I learned so many things from this movie — a) Rodents of unusual size DO exist, b)Inigo Montoya likes to say his own name, but does not like it when his father dies, c) Inconceivable is a great word, d) Good looking guys will do everything you wish if you're pretty and blonde.

4. Cinderella (1965)
By far the best version of this classic, the Rodgers & Hammerstein's made-for-TV movie was perfect. Songs like "In my own little corner" and "Ten Minutes Ago" make it clearly superior to any cartoon. I also love the horribly fake sets that awkwardly move while Cinderella sings. Upon doing some research, I found that Lesley Ann Warren who plays Cinderella has recently been on Desperate Housewives in the smaller role of Sophie Bremmer (Susan's mother). Though I secretly love that show, her role is definitely a step down from her glass slipper days.


5. Roman Holiday (1953)
Surprisingly this film was made before Cinderella, but was beautifully filmed. I love almost all movies with Audrey Hepburn, but this one involves Italy so it wins. In the film, Hepburn plays a princess who escapes from her parents to go off with an American newspaper man. The fashion alone gives it points in my top 5 list.

No comments:

Post a Comment