Monday, June 20, 2011

Daniel Radcliffe's Reaction to J.K. Rowling's Big Annoucement

With the announcement less than three days away, the tension that I'm sure J.K. Rowling intended is rising. According to NPR : National Public Radio, Rowling's publicist will only say that it's not a new book or directly related to the upcoming film. Why then would Daniel Radcliffe even be discussing a return to the Potter franchise? In an interview with the L.A. Times yesterday, Radcliffe talked about his future with the Potter series.

When asked about reprising his role as Harry, Daniel seemed a little more than reluctant.

“Not particularly. I think that would be a bit odd,” said the actor. “I’d be very skeptical about that. First of all, I don’t think that she will” write another Potter installment, “and second of all, oh, I don’t know, the idea of going back to something after 10 or 20 years? At that point, I will have worked 20 years to establish a career outside of it, and at that point to go back to it would feel a little self-defeating.”

Granted, he didn't completely rule out the possibility.

“I could feel completely different at that time, but at this moment, it feels like it would be strange and not the way it would or should go.”

But if Rowling supposedly isn't planning on announcing another book, why would he even be talking about this? If another book isn't Rowling's big announcement this time, is it potentially one down the line? We can only dream. While many fans have pushed for a sequel following the trio's offspring, I think a prequel following the original members of the Order of the Phoenix would be the most interesting read. That way Radcliffe wouldn't have to worry about solely being associated with Potter and we could still get our fix.

“I know nothing about that [the Pottermore website] whatsoever,” Radcliffe said. “I’m sure that Jo will be writing a lot more in the coming years. I’m sure she has a lot more in her than we’ve read and a lot more stories to tell.”

I wholeheartedly concur.

No comments:

Post a Comment